Monday, March 21, 2011

Introducing: Classic Movie Mondays

It has been brought to my attention that fewer and fewer people are taking it upon themselves to watch classic movies. By "classic movies," I don't mean the movies that people go watch in the theater and say, "that's going to be a classic." I mean old movies. The movies that inspired modern filmmakers and those that started it all. That includes black and white movies. I feel very passionate about this. I have known many people that just will not watch black and white movies. I know some readers of this will probably feel that way, so I just want to express my feelings on this subject. I think it is unfair to exclude an entire collection of films simply because they are not in color. Believe it or not, color was not always an option just like HD was not always an option. It took a lot of work to perfect it. Just because a movie is not in color does not mean that it is not good. They are worth watching and after time, you don't even notice it anymore. I have seen so many black and white films that I have to check the DVD case to remind myself if it is color or black and white. I also feel that when films are black and white, they allow you to focus more on character development and on the story. If you can learn to appreciate this, then you can open your world up to a whole lot of wonderful films.

For some, black and white is not the problem. Some people just do not know where to begin with classic movies because they don't know what actors are good or what movies are worth seeing. This is why I decided to create Classic Movie Mondays. I will (hopefully) lead you in the right direction. Like with modern movies, you have to find the actors you like, because not everyone will like the same actors. I am a huge fan of Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, James Stewart, Cary Grant, and Katharine Hepburn, but not everyone is going to like these same actors. Because of this, I will try to get a good variety of movies.

Here is how Classic Movie Mondays will work:

Each Monday I will do a post about a Classic Movie. I will give you basic information on the movie, a summary, why I like it and a bit of information about the stars and director. I will also let you know if it is in black and white or color, because some will be in color. Hopefully, it will be enough information for you to decide if you want to watch it or not. If you choose to watch it, let me know how much you liked it and why, or let me know if you did not like it and why. I hope this will encourage more people to watch classic movies and come to love them the way I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment